Friday, November 18, 2011

Pray for Oklahoma State University

Today has been an emotional one. This morning I received a breaking news email from our local CBS station that my beloved Oklahoma State University had yet again lost members of the athletic department in a horrific plane crash but this time in Arkansas instead of Colorado. We lost our OSU Cowgirls Head Coach-Kurt Budke and Assistant Coach Miranda Serna plus a former Oklahoma state senator Olin Branstetter and his wife Paula who were piloting the small plane. It was only back in January that the OSU family remembered the 10th anniversary of the crash that killed ten men connected with the Oklahoma State men's basketball which included players, media personnel, basketball operations, trainers and the two pilots. I will never forget how I felt that cold January evening as the 6:00 p.m. news came on and heard the words. Our favorite sportscaster had also been killed in that crash. It was devastating!

I can't put into words exactly how it feels to have been a part of this wonderful school in Stillwater, Oklahoma. Everyone always has fond feelings of their special school or college experience but there is truly something uniquely special about Stillwater and Oklahoma State University. I noticed it right off on a high school visit back in 1978. I could not believe how everyone on the sidewalks that day would speak to us, stop and ask if we needed assistance, or wave and give us a friendly smile! I thought to myself, "Wow! This is where I want to be!" I was sold from that moment on.

Please pray for all of those involved and who have been touched personally by this tragedy. My heart is heavy tonight. I can't imagine how all those directly affected at O-State feel. Personally, I think right now prayer is the best thing to begin to heal hearts. This article pretty much sums it what a lot of people are thinking.

No comments: