Saturday, January 26, 2013

Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Bread



I have now been gluten free and sugar free for 16 months. It has been a long, hard process. I have taken great insight from the various blogs and recipe books I have found, however, I felt almost fearful of trying any of these fabulous things! I think mainly I felt afraid due to the unfamiliar ingredients and a new way of cooking. I have grown tired of the same meals and have begun to venture out a bit. I have made several things lately but for whatever reason found that I really prefer to make a recipe fit more my taste and fast-paced life. I do not like having to use a lot of ingredients or reading so many steps in a recipe.

This week I found a fabulous Paleo Coconut Bread that I made. Of course, I had to tweak it a bit to fit my needs. I did not use the honey in the recipe and added another flour instead of all coconut. But the bread came out very tasty and moist. Today I thought I would experiment further and the Chocolate Coconut Bread is the result.

As I continue on this journey it is evident that I need to branch out and step out of my comfort zone!

Enjoy!


Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Bread
6 eggs
15 drops of Stevia
1 tsp of baking powder
1 tablespoon of unsweetened cocoa
1 cup of freshly ground coconut (carefully use a food processor or coffee grinder to pulverize your flaked coconut…it only took a couple of pulses and it was more like a flour)
2 cups of Almond Meal Flour
1 tsp vanilla
Whip the eggs, Stevia, and vanilla. Add the baking powder and cocoa to the coconut and almond meal flour. I mixed together with a fork to make sure there were no lumps. The coconut will have a texture and that is okay. Add your wet ingredients to the dry and mix together. The batter will begin to get thick. I used a glass bread pan but you can also use a metal pan. Grease the pan with Coconut Oil or use parchment paper. I used Coconut Oil.   
Bake for 45 minutes at 300 or until a knife comes clean from middle of bread
This is not very sweet. I think next time I may add five more drops of Stevia but I love the taste.
I served a slice with Almond Butter but you could also use Peanut Butter


No comments: