Wednesday, June 11, 2008

WFMW 6-11-08



Healthy LifeStyle Notebook

Okay I admit it, I am a nut for notebooks of any kind. I have always been that type of gal that had a huge love of pen and paper. I mean when I was in the second grade I was designing clothes for my Barbie using my spiral notebook. Suffice it to say that I have a lot of organizational notebooks around my home and even more spiral notebooks! I buy them by the case when the back-to-school sales begin late summer. I justify it because I have four children that attend school and they usually need a notebook for each subject. A case is much cheaper. But I do digress…

Many of you have heard that if you just write down what you eat or drink it will help you keep track of your habits and calories for any given day. I have tried this in the past and have always given up the task. I found it at times to be too cumbersome or I would just plain forget to write down what I had eaten.

Last year I had a life changing event happen in my life and I decided to keep track of what I eat and how much I exercise. It worked wonderfully…..until I quit making time to do it! I am back on track now and I am so glad. I have finally figured out that for me I need the structure. It is also invaluable when you have an appointment with your doctor.

This is what I do:
I have found using an old fashioned steno pad is the best for me.

I write down everything that goes in my mouth. I also keep track of my blood sugar, blood pressure, and weight. I also put down how many minutes I have exercised (or not) and what I did for physical activity. I keep it near me at work and it comes out of my bag once I get home.

I have found now that it is like a dear old friend that I have missed. I write down my feelings or if I am really craving something I write that down and try to evaluate why I have such strong desires to deviate from my plan.

There are several online tracking sites that one can use but I have found that actually holdking the pen in hand and putting it to paper works best for me. For more Works for Me Wednesday check out Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Britni said...

I just started using the WW online program for this exact reason. I love to update things and be on the computer so it works great for me.

Jeni said...

A steno pad is a great idea, with the natural line down the middle - you could journal your food on one side, and your exercise, water consumption, medications, etc. on the other. I've been thinking about journaling my diet again, and I think I might just get a steno pad for it!

(BTW - I totally understand about the pens & paper, etc. I was in Sam's Club today, just drooling over the jumbo packs of gel pens & colorful packs of Sharpies.)

marigold said...

This is a great idea, and another reason to use really cool notebooks. I like the journals you can get in the dollar bin at Walgreens, too!